Follow the blue arrows on the signs as you walk
At the eastern end of that block, next to the Henrich Building, is a city parking lot. The hotel that first filled that property burned in the 1851 fire. The Conrad Hotel replaced it in 1865. It was the scene of political conventions and Civil War reunions. J.C. Penney stayed there on several occasions. Football teams traveling by train to Massillon would transfer to the streetcar and use the Conrad as their locker room in the early 20th century. And in the 1940s, the Football Booster Club often housed high school players who were “visiting” Massillon during football season in the hotel. During the early 1900s, the fire chief liked to play cards or nap on the covered open front porch. If an emergency arose, firefighters would swing by to pick him up on their way to the fire. The Conrad Hotel burned in 1983.
Directions: Cross Postal Place, which was closed off in 2020 to facilitate outdoor dining and drinking. Be sure to notice the Scot Phillips mural inside the window of the Sangria Stand. [delete] Stop in front of the Sugar Bowl.